Have you ever read the ingredients in the toothpaste you use every day?
Commercial toothpaste is full of toxic chemicals! The mouth is super absorbent, so anything you put in your mouth gets into your blood stream quickly. Over the course of a lifetime, a person will use about 20 gallons of toothpaste! Even though you spit it out that’s still a lot of opportunity for toxic chemicals to make their way into your body.
Let us break it down for you. Here is a list and explanation of the most common ingredients in toothpastes found on store shelves in America:
- Artificial Colorings: These dyes are linked to cancer, skin rashes, and behavioral issues.
- Artificial Sweeteners: ‘Aspartame’ is a common sweetener found in toothpaste. The way Aspartame is produced, it has loose methanol bonds that when consumed by humans is converted into formaldehyde which can cause enormous damage to a body such as risk of nervous system diseases. Formaldehyde is a respiratory irritant that causes chest pain, shortness of breath, coughing, and nose and throat irritation, according to the ATSDR. It can also cause cancer, and has been linked to an increased risk of asthma and allergies in kids.
- Fluoride: Many dentists swear that this stuff prevents cavities but recent studies show the opposite is true. It is a major ingredient in children’s toothpaste and is recommended that fluoride is only directly put on the teeth for it to be beneficial. Just think about how much toothpaste kids swallow! When ingested, fluoride builds up in the body over time and can cause neurological and endocrine disfunction.
- Triclosan: This ingredient is in major toothpaste brands who claim their products fight plaque and gingivitis. However, this toxic chemical has been linked to endocrine disruption. Also, there are concerns that it may make it’s user resistant to antibiotics.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)-SLS: This ingredient is actually a registered insecticide! It is the foaming agent in commercial toothpaste but it also affects your taste buds which is probably why things taste so bad after you brush your teeth. It can also cause mouth sores
- Propylene Glycol: Industrial grade Propylene Glycol is used in antifreeze, paints, enamel and airplane de-icers. The pharmaceutical grade is a known skin, eye and lung irritant, and the research is limited on what damage it does to the human body, but we can only imagine it is not good!
- Diethanolamine (DEA): This ingredient is listed as a human carcinogen, is readily absorbed through the skin, and has been linked to stomach cancer, esophagus cancer, and liver cancer.
WHY OUR DENTAL SOAP IS SUPERIOR:
Now that you have learned what bad ingredients are in many commercial toothpastes, allow us to share with you why what ingredients the Cheeky Maiden puts in her dental soap are better for you!
- Coconut Oil: This is a natural anti-bacterial agent that helps to kill fungus, yeast and bacteria. Coconut oil has also been a proven to fight against the Strep bacteria that lives in your mouth. It aids in reducing plaque buildup, prevents tooth decay, fights gum disease and even helps whiten your teeth!
- Xylitol: Xylitol is a natural plant sweetener derived from the fibrous parts of plants. In addition to providing a pleasant flavor, it is a great re-mineralizer. It actually stimulates the repair of enamel on your teeth. Xylitol serves as an agent to neutralize the pH in your mouth and can also prevent bacteria from sticking to your teeth which protects your teeth from decay.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils are great anti-bacterial agents and help to get rid of and kill the bad bacteria growing in your mouth.
- Clove: Helps re-mineralize teeth due to its protective qualities against acid. Clove is also a great anti-inflammatory agent, which helps to heal mouth sores and tooth aches. It also is effective at reducing the bacteria in your mouth and creates a more stable microbiome, which is the environment that protects the body against germs.
- Peppermint: This ingredient is extremely effective at killing anaerobic bacteria, which thrive in your mouth and can cause gum disease.
- Spearmint: This is similar to peppermint, in that it is a strong antiseptic and great at killing germs.
Not only do we include healthy ingredients that will help improve your family's dental state, we have the best price for value of any other natural toothpaste on the market!
Cheeky Maiden Dental Soap: Lasts 1 year at $5.99
Tom’s of Maine toothpaste: Lasts 3-4 months at $4.99
Arm & Hammer: Lasts 3-4 months at $3.49
SUMMING IT UP:
Our Dental Soap is specially formulated for use on the teeth and gums. It aids to rebalance the pH in your mouth and cleans teeth without leaving a film that prevents teeth from re-enameling.
Our Dental Soap is free from Fluoride, triclosan, SLS, artificial sweeteners and other harmful chemicals. Your teeth will feel as though they have been professionally cleaned and one bar will last you about 1 year! Our tooth soap is all plant-based, bio-degradable and safe for every member of your family.
For Best Results:
Use twice daily. Get your toothbrush wet and scrub against the bar a few times brush your teeth thoroughly and rinse!